Monday 12 April 2021

This is how we are human by Louise Beech - A TBC review

 This Is How We Are Human

by Louise Beech



As an interim review: WoW, just WOW. 

This is how we are human by Louise Beech is a work of brilliance. I have tried to write a review that does it justice for about a week now and I still feel nothing I say will be adequate. 

This is an easy 5+ star read. 

Louise Beech is a very diverse author, approaching each subject with her unique ability to weave a magical story. 

In “This is how we are human” the author explores the complexities of being the parent of a neurodiverse young adult. As a mother of two autistic young men, I found myself in this book! I laughed, I cried and I could utterly relate to Veronica.

When we meet Veronica and Sebastian, we encounter a mother at her wits’ end! All Veronica wants is help with Sebastian’s latest challenging behaviour, just to find the professional as clueless as she feels! Sebastian is 20, he loves swimming, eggs, is handsome, dreams of having sex ... and is autistic! Isabelle is a young nurse in training and has a secret night job. Veronica’s plan to help Sebastian has some unexpected effects on all three of our main characters! 

Louise Beech broaches a subject that most of us parents with differently abled children put off thinking about! As with all her books, the characters are all exquisitely created, the storyline weaves beautifully along and the reader cannot help but be drawn into the Center of the story.

This is one of the most poignant, brilliantly written and profound human interest stories I have read! Really the only advice I have for anyone reading this review is: buy the book!


View all my reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment